Not just the preserve of science fiction geeks, Star Wars quotes have found a foothold in popular culture. There can be few people remaining on this planet (or any other) who have not heard the infamous “May the Force Be with You.” Been there, bought the t-shirt, but did you know that, although that phrase comes from the first Star Wars (released in 1977), it only came to prominence in 1979, when a London Evening News ad used the quote to congratulate the recently elected British prime minister Margaret Thatcher?
In fact, although “May the Force Be with You” is one of the most famous Star Wars quotes, and is repeated many times throughout the series of movies, (and numerous times every May 4th) there are other memorable sayings from the franchise that deserve to be more prominent.
Here, in no particular order, are our favourite Star Wars quotes to impress your friends with and make you think:
- “A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…”
That signature opening crawl sets the scene for an epic journey
- “I’ve been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master.” Darth Vader A New Hope
- “Remember…the Force will be with you, always.” Obi Wan Kenobi A New Hope
- “Traveling through hyperspace ain’t like dusting crops, farm boy.” Han Solo A New Hope
- “The Force is strong with this one.” Darth Vader A New Hope
- “Use the force, Luke.” Obi Wan Kenobi A New Hope
- “Judge me by my size, do you?” Yoda The Empire Strikes Back
- “Do. Or do not. There is no try.” Yoda The Empire Strikes Back
(Very useful quote for when somebody needs a bit of a kick – sorry, motivation).
- “I won’t fail you. I’m not afraid.” Luke
“You will be. You… will… be.” Yoda The Empire Strikes Back
- “I find your lack of faith disturbing.” Darth Vader A New Hope
- “It’s a trap!” Admiral Ackbar Return of the Jedi
It never gets tired. Well…
- “Your eyes can deceive. Don’t trust them.” Obi Wan-Kenobi A New Hope
- “Never tell me the odds.” Han Solo The Empire Strikes Back
- “In my experience, there’s no such thing as luck. “ Obi Wan-Kenobi A New Hope
- “Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.” Yoda Return of the Jedi
- “Wars not make one great.” Yoda The Empire Strikes Back
Once again, Yoda reveals once again that wisdom and bad grammar are not mutually exclusive.
- “Luminous beings are we. Not this crude matter.” Yoda The Empire Strikes Back
- “Always remember, your focus determines your reality.” Qui-Gon Jinn The Phantom Menace
- “Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.” Yoda Revenge of the Sith
Have you any favourite Star Wars quotes? We’d love to hear them!